Well, now I'm watching a new show and frankly, it's the opposite of Parenthood, but in a good way!!! It's so GOOD! Bloodline is a new Netflix Original Series. It was released in March and I just started it a couple weeks ago. While this show does not leave you feeling all "warm and fuzzy" after every episode, it does leave you asking more questions and wanting to learn more about the dark secrets held by each character. The show is about the Rayburn Family and it focuses around events in their past while illustrating how those events have shaped their present, and how the return of the eldest son and token black sheep, Danny, will make them all unravel. Every episode is as good as the last and if you like a good drama series, then Bloodline should be next in your queue of shows to watch. I like it so much, I compiled a list of 10 reasons why I think you should watch Bloodline, too.
1. Your favorite guy from Friday Night Lights is on it!: Kyle Chandler plays John Rayburn, the second child of the Rayburn Family. If you loved him in Friday Night Lights, you'll love him on Bloodline as John. He's a hottie…in an older-man kind of way!
2. An MTV "...stranger, picked to live in a house" is on it!: Jacinda Barrett plays Diana Rayburn, John's wife. And if you're a reality television fan, then you will recognize her from MTV's The Real World: London. (Yes, I realize I just dated myself, since that season was on in the mid 90's, but….whatever). I loved Jacinda when she was on MTV and I have enjoyed watching her in the various acting jobs she's had, since.
3. An Academy Award winning actress stars on the show!: Sissy Spacek plays the matriarch of this twisted family, and just like every role she plays, she does an astounding job portraying a mother who has chosen to shield her own eyes in order to avoid reality and avoid the truth.
4. An Academy Award winning actor and Pulitzer Prize winning author, stars on the show!: The cast for this show is stacked! Such great talent starring in every scene! Sam Shepard plays patriarch, Robert Rayburn and he does such a great job portraying a likable man, that when small truths are revealed, you find it hard to dislike him.
5. It takes place in the Florida Keys!: The backdrop for the Rayburn Family drama is crystal clear water, palm trees, boats, and the family inn. And honestly, that is even better eye candy than Kyle Chandler. Sorry Kyle!
6. Model and actress, Chloe Sevigny has a part in this drama…and she's a hot mess! You'll love it!: Chloe is known for being a model, actress and fashion designer. Her character's fashion sense is very trailer-park-chic, so it just brought me great joy to see her looking a hot mess rather than her beautiful, put-together self. If you loved her in HBO's Big Love, you'll enjoy her in Bloodline.
7. Every episode seems like an hour-long movie: Each episode starts off backwards. They give you the "what", then throughout the episode they illustrate the "how". It's a fascinating way to develop a story and leaves you wanting more. Every. Single. Time.
8. You'll love to hate Danny Rayburn!: Ben Mendelsohn plays Danny Rayburn, the eldest son. He's the black sheep of the family and he's so good in this role, that you just love to hate him. You also, feel sorry for him because of the circumstances that have occurred, which have ultimately shaped his life.
9. Every episode of Bloodline will make you want to go on vacation: After every episode, I just want to book a room at an inn or B&B in the Keys and just relax. I've never been to Florida, but I will be going in November and this show makes me glad to know I will be there soon!
10. There's a Season 2 lined up!: Feel free to invest interest and time in this show. It's been picked up for Season 2 in 2016. While that seems like a long time away, at least you'll be able to watch it over and over until you're blue in the face. And then, you'll be able to continue the story next year. No worrying about dedicating time to a show that has an uncertain future, here! Watch happily and confidently!
Let me know what you think! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this great, new show!